Tuesday, May 17, 2016

EV Conversion: Shaft coupler fixed, turned and balanced

71 VW Karmann Ghia EV Conversion
I bought a shaft coupler and adapter plate for the Warp 9 motor to mate with the VW transaxle. The coupler arrived from Wilderness EV and I mounted the clutch. Once I spun it up, I noticed a significant wobble. I sent it back to Brian at Wilderness and he said he would replace it. Instead of replacing it, his mechanic turned the face where the clutch mounts. This fixed the wobble, however, since material was preferentially removed from one side, it caused the coupler to be seriously out of balance.
Shaft coupler with the clutch removed. The face was turned.

Bad vibrations

Rather than send it back again at my expense, I took it to JTL Automotive in Keyport, NJ. They measured 41.2 g out of balance. By welding on weights to one side and shaving down the other he got it to about 4 g out of balance. It looks like garbage but there is no more vibration.
after balancing

adapter plate mounted on the motor - Be sure the plate is aligned properly (rotated) or you will have to remove it later for the installation. You don't want the wire terminals pointing down. The plate fits very tightly, needed to be impacted in place with a hammer and torqued down with the bolts.
clutch mounted again and placed on the motor

Final spin up, looks good!

No comments:

Post a Comment